I am planning in making a tabletop, with rounded corners, and want to decorate the top with some grooves that I could make with the router using the edge guide.

Something like this (excuse my drawing skills):

enter image description here

Apart from this model with three rectangular-shaped grooves that I quickly thought out, are there sites/sources of ideas/plans, ready made?

Actually I don't know what keywords to use to search for this kind of technique and designs. Help on technical taxonomy is welcome.

L.E.: Thanks to mmathis, I updated the question title, "inlay" being the design that I am looking for

  • The term you're looking for is "inlay", which you can put into your favorite search engine to find plans. Note that inlays are grooves cut into the wood and filled with another (usually contrasting) wood - leaving the grooves open on a tabletop is a recipe for dirt and grime to collect.
    – mmathis
    Mar 27, 2018 at 13:37
  • VTC as a shopping question
    – mmathis
    Mar 27, 2018 at 13:37
  • Just to add to what mmathis said, the grooves can also be filled with resin or epoxy, coloured or filled. But of course they can be left open if that's the look you want.
    – Graphus
    Mar 27, 2018 at 14:57
  • 1
    I don't know of a single resource for this, but try checking Pinterest for "stringing" and "banding" and "inlay". Mar 27, 2018 at 23:19
  • 1
    @AndreiRînea Yes, I've left empty grooves in pieces to make them more interesting to look at. Features like this are sometimes called "shadow lines", though that term refers not just to empty grooves, but to any carved or raised feature added to make the piece visually more interesting than a flat space would be. Mar 29, 2018 at 13:16

1 Answer 1

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.