When selecting a guide bushing from my newly purchased set, how do I determine which one to use for any given router bit when I'm following a template?
- Do I want the tightest tolerance possible?
- If so, how tight is too tight?
- For example, can/should I use a 17/32" ID bushing for a 1/2" (16/32") bit, leaving 1/32" clearance?
- Or, should I go to the next larger size 21/32" ID, leaving 4/32" clearance?
- If I'm using a dovetail bit, how do I determine what's the right size? Does the bushing just need to clear the shank of the bit?
NB: I left a very important part of the question out after doing massive editing prior to its original asking. This edit partially invalidates Caleb's answer, but there's enough of his answer to still make it worthwhile.