I am assuming it is some sort of laminate but I as the question states I am wondering when the material is that looks like a hard white plastic that goes over wood and tends to be used in bathrooms/kitchens etc. Also is it possible to buy and apply as DIY or is it something that needs to be done in a factory? Thanks

You can see it on the doors in this link


  • The modern high-loss cabinet stuff is made using more than one type of wrap, vinyl or another resin, over an MDF or particleboard/chipboard core. Regardless of what the surface is I'm pretty sure it's a factory material only. But that doesn't mean you can't get the same look in a DIY solution, there's always painting to consider. Hard work to get a surface close to as good as the plastic wrap, but not impossible.
    – Graphus
    Jul 2 '19 at 12:08

A turner in my club does the equivalent of this finish. In presentations, he's pretty clear that it takes specialized equipment, lots of time and focus for a perfectly level (no orange peel, etc.) shiny (not dull/matte) finish. He has a special booth, and personal protection so as not to breath fumes.

All in all, I love the finish, but would not undertake such a setup. There are epoxy finishes that are safer (given plenty of fresh air), and more targeted to one-off types of finishing. You might try http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.