I have just purchased an old Tyzack spindle moulder (shaper) and need some help please.

I'm new to carpentry and have never used a spindle moulder before. I am in need of a block and cutters. I believe the Bore size is 22mm but most blocks I’ve come across are 30mm (as far as I can tell).

Is there a way of changing the machine to take 30mm or can you point me in the right direction for acquiring a 22mm bore block.

I'm living in the UK, if that helps.

Here are some images of the machine, I have also posted the plates but it doesn’t really give much info.

Thanks, Josh image 1 image 2 image 3 image 4

  • Welcome to Woodworking:SE. I'm afraid "shopping" questions are not on-topic here. I suggest contacting Axminster or Trend (or if you are in Cambridge, ask at Mackays). Commented Jun 12, 2019 at 9:28
  • 1
    @MartinBonner This does not appear to be a shopping question.
    – Ashlar
    Commented Jun 12, 2019 at 14:36
  • I agree. It does ask about finding 22mm blocks, but is a general question about "how to make this old tool go" which is sort of the raison d'etre of WW.SE.
    – user5572
    Commented Jun 12, 2019 at 15:17
  • 1
    You can edit the question at any time and clarify it based on comments. Ideally you have a model number or other identifying info. Try to be as specific as possible.
    – user5572
    Commented Jun 12, 2019 at 17:44
  • 1
    By the way, someone has retained the name "Tyzack" and is selling woodworking tools from a storefront in Shoreditch. Might be worth dropping them a line and asking if they can point you in the right direction, assuming they are somewhat related to the historical Tyzacks traditionally based in and around Hackney tyzacktools.com/contactus.aspx
    – user5572
    Commented Jun 12, 2019 at 17:55


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.