I have seen a twisted style of wood carving used in 19th-century table legs or staircase balusters. What is it called?

enter image description here


I think this is a type of barley twist.

A Google image search for "barley twist legs" brings up the following pieces, of many, each identified by a private seller or auction house as having legs with a barley twist:

Barley-twist legs

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.