enter image description hereDoes anyone know what this wood wedge is for?


  • Tough to get a sense of scale - how big is this thing? My first thought is that it's a doorstop, but it may be too big for that, and I don't know what that hole would be for. – Nuclear Hoagie Feb 8 '19 at 17:28
  • Ya that was my first thought - doorstop - but the hole?? It's approx 7" long – Stack Feb 8 '19 at 17:42
  • 3
    Cantilevered wine bottle holder? (Like this: i.ytimg.com/vi/wCJYWKRgDXE/hqdefault.jpg ) – SaSSafraS1232 Feb 8 '19 at 18:58
  • 1
    @SaSSafraS1232, post it as an answer, because I believe you are correct. – fred_dot_u Feb 8 '19 at 19:01

I believe that this is a cantilevered wine bottle holder. It will rest with the branding down, and the neck of the bottle is inserted into the hole so that the bottle rests horizontally.

Here is a similar design:

Cantilevered wine bottle holder

  • awesome - thx!! – Stack Feb 8 '19 at 23:26
  • What are they for? Bottles are usually made to be able to stand on their own. – OmarL Feb 15 '19 at 14:33
  • @Wilson For display, and for fun. – Katie Kilian Feb 15 '19 at 22:28
  • @Wilson, they're often bought as gifts, same basic motivation as "executive gifts" and other novelty items. At least that's my impression of them. – Graphus Feb 15 '19 at 22:31
  • @Wilson, wine corks need to remain wet to keep their seal. Storing a bottle horizontally accomplishes this. The wedge does this more artistically than just laying on a shelf in the fridge. – B540Glenn Feb 18 '19 at 18:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.