I would really like to make my own vises, like moxon, tail vise, etc. I'd love to be able to afford the benchcrafted kits but they are price-prohibitive. I've seen people make them out of press vises, but I'm looking for a much larger handle than comes with standard press vises, as I figure that the larger the rotational diameter, the more torque one might apply to the vise screw. However, I am not getting a lot of hits when I search for "bench screw wheel" or "bench screw handle."

Is there a specific name for the type of handle I am referring to?

Picture of Benchcrafted tail vises without price

  • "crank" would be the word I'd use Apr 5 '15 at 20:17
  • Ah! I didn't even think about crank! My search begins anew! Apr 5 '15 at 20:20
  • "hand wheel", see below answer! Apr 5 '15 at 20:48

Apparently, they're called "hand wheels"; this lumberjocks post talks about how this person made a vise and called them hand wheels. Searching for hand wheels brings up results.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.