I am at a loss trying to figure out what this tool is, hopefully this is being asked in the right place.

The images are screen shots from a video, hopefully they are enough.

It is quite small, perhaps about 15cm on each side. It appears to do small position adjustments using the 2 silver dials on each side. The small oval plate on top I think tilts.

The tool is being used in the video to screen print small items where positioning is critical.

I hope this is enough information.


enter image description here

enter image description here

  • This isn't a woodworking tool (so is off-topic for this SE and the Question will be closed in due course). What the pictures show I think is a type of two-axis clamp, possibly with a custom top panel. Similar things of various designs are used in metalworking for milling operations, allowing very precise X, Y adjustments to position the workpiece relative to the cutter head.
    – Graphus
    Sep 18 '18 at 11:31

This is an "X-Y table" or a "milling table". Here is the Wikipedia entry about them.

Graphus's comment is correct, this is not typically used in woodworking (so I will vote to close this question, sorry). The most common application is in a machinist's mill.


This is what appears to be a shop-made "X-Y Table (perhaps "stage")" similar to those used in a toolmakers microscope. In this situation, moving the object of study is preferred over moving the lens assembly. In more elaborate models, precision measurements can be made by reading the micrometers used for x and y-axis positioning and aligning features with a reticule (hairline) seen through the lens.

A somewhat more elaborate version can be seen here: Toolmakers Microscope.

This question might be a candidate for Engineering StackOverflow, since such devices would commonly be used in a mechanical engineering prototyping shop and manufacturing tool-rooms.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.