I was given a portable wooden workbench with several holes drilled into it, and on the inside of each of these holes is what I would call a "screw receptacle"; essentially metal, threaded "female" receptable that would allow someone to screw a bolt or perhaps a clamp down in the middle of the table.

Anybody know what the proper term for these threaded "screw receptacles" might be?

  • 2
    Are you looking for the term "threaded inserts"? There are many kinds. Here is one example: lowes.com/pd/… – Katie Kilian May 9 '18 at 20:14
  • Ah nice, I think so! @CharlieKilian do you know if anyone makes big inserts (3/4" or even 7/8")? – hotmeatballsoup May 9 '18 at 20:18
  • Do you mean 3/4" length, or 3/4" diameter? I've seen long threaded inserts, but not threaded inserts with such a large diameter. They might exist somewhere, but I'd be concerned that anything you might screw into it would have enough torque or leverage to pull the insert right out. You might be able to get away with tapping the wood directly. What is this for? There might be other ways to accomplish what you're wanting, too. – Katie Kilian May 9 '18 at 20:29
  • It sounds like you're talking about hardware for making your own bench vise. Try looking for a "flange nut". Also be careful to note if it's acme thread or standard... – SaSSafraS1232 May 9 '18 at 22:47
  • This is for screwing in the pegs of a standard armwrestling table which will require an enormous amount of sturdiness and resilience and which will need to withstand hundreds of pounds of force. – hotmeatballsoup May 10 '18 at 0:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.