My router has countersunk holes in its base. What am I supposed to attach between the bit and the base?

  • 3
    A picture would be useful to clarify your question – Chuck S Mar 5 '18 at 15:45
  • Agree a picture would be a great help as I think we have a confusing idea of whether this is about countersinks or actually counterbores (or both, as some [older?] router bases have holes of both types).. – Graphus Mar 6 '18 at 13:39
  • The plastic base that rests on the work piece has 3 conical indentations around its central hole so that you can insert screws without their heads interfering with the work. – joeforker Mar 6 '18 at 14:00
  • Those holes are usually for mounting the plastic base plate to the router base. Perhaps this is meant to fit more than one router – Chuck S Mar 6 '18 at 15:05

The large countersink that surrounds the bit is for guide bushings for template work. The smaller holes are probably for the auxiliary fence attachment.

  • The main hole would have a counterbore surely? – Graphus Mar 6 '18 at 13:41
  • Of course it is. Changing terminology doesn't clarify to the Original Poster. Rather than muddy the waters I allowed counter sink to include counterbore. – Chuck S Mar 6 '18 at 14:57
  • But you could have gone over the difference (even if just with links) as part of fleshing out a more complete and comprehensive Answer of maximal help to the OP, which is rather what the site is about. – Graphus Mar 6 '18 at 19:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.