I have a double bevel chisel/knife. Any information about this tool? Thanks![enter image description here]1

  • 1
    Looks just like a carving knife, not quite a chisel since the cutting edge is orthogonal to the handle. It might be used for making cuts at the bottom of a bowl, where the unshaped part of the blade won't cut into the sides accidentally.
    – jbord39
    Aug 6, 2017 at 16:33
  • I'm sure I've seen one of these before somewhere, very woolly on detail but I think it's not actually a woodworking tool. I have an inkling it's for leatherworking.
    – Graphus
    Aug 7, 2017 at 17:11
  • I might sound stupid. But It looks like a mini version of wood chopper or axe. : )
    – Stephen
    Aug 7, 2017 at 17:41
  • 1
    It looks like something my dad said was for scraping paper for erasing ink. He is not with us any longer so I cannot ask.
    – LosManos
    Aug 8, 2017 at 18:01
  • It is similar in form to the Abegglen woodcarving detail chisel, chip carving knives and antique cuticle trimming knives. And I too have seen similar tools used in leather working but also cannot put my finger on where. My searches have turned up a few isolated, specialty leather tools that are similar in form but nothing similar enough to proffer as an identifying match. It could be a one off original tool or modified from another though I feel that it's tidy construction and refined form suggest it was purpose made and in some number.
    – Otto
    Nov 14, 2017 at 19:02


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.