I am designing a chair that has an adjustable length. I want to have 1/4" steel pins that go through a hole in a bracket, through a 2x4, and come out to go through a hole in the other side of the bracket.

I want to install metal tubes in the 2x4 to prevent fretting; I want non-threaded inserts long enough to go through a 2x4 (I'm not sure which direction yet). I cannot even find a name for this hardware, let alone a vendor.

Any information is welcome

  • 3
    It sounds like you're looking for metal tubing rather than "inserts" per se. Is that what you're after? LIke a "liner" for the wood to protect it against the bolt or pin? I expect you can find this in various materials at a competent hardware store. I would expect you could find it in brass, aluminum, and probably hot-rolled mild steel. You might need to be flexible on size as I don't think inside diameter is the key spec for those items. Here's one supplier if that's what you're after: speedymetals.com/s-204-round-tube.aspx
    – scanny
    Jan 12, 2017 at 5:57
  • 1
    I was composing my Answer but something occurred to me, so can I just check whether you just need the rods to slide through the wood, not to disengage and be reinserted multiple times? If that's so wouldn't lubricating the holes with wax or graphite provide you with a good enough service life? It works for older all-wood vices so the principle is definitely sound.
    – Graphus
    Jan 12, 2017 at 10:14
  • 1
    Google "brass threaded insert" and look at images. You could screw these in securely, then drill out the interior threads. 1/4" is common. Jan 12, 2017 at 15:17
  • scanny: that's a great answer Jan 13, 2017 at 8:44
  • Graphus: this is for a chair design. I cannot trust consumers to treat parts respectfully. Thank you for your idea; it would be perfect in a different context Jan 13, 2017 at 8:45

3 Answers 3


The name for hardware that has a metal shaft sliding through it is bushing:

Flanged bushing

However it will be difficult to find one long enough to go all the way through a 2x4. So like scanny suggested, you might just buy a length of metal tube and use that.

  • 5
    Perhaps you could insert a bushing into each end of the hole.
    – Chris H
    Jan 12, 2017 at 13:33
  • Actually, that might be a great compromise. Thanks Jan 13, 2017 at 8:47

I found them as 'sleeve bearings' on Fastenal.


I think what you're looking for is also referred to as 'spacers'. You can find quite a lot on ebay.

I was looking for the same thing for similar reasons.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.