I'm clearing my mothers basement out and came across these two items. They look like old wood working tools / templates to me so I thought I would ask you guys. mystery object

  • 1
    Guess: fancy winding sticks?
    – keshlam
    Sep 6, 2016 at 19:59
  • Is that three things, or just one thing? It almost looks like molding for something, but that only makes sense if it's one thing. EDITED: I see you said it is two. How is it split up? Sep 6, 2016 at 21:01
  • 1
    Sorry I had difficulties in uploading the second photo. However, many thanks to Norcol Johnny for the spot on answer. It just give me another task, to wade through about 200+ planes to find the matching pair before they go to auction next week. I'm fairly sure they will be there, as they both came from the same source many years ago. The links to the info was perfect again many thanks. Sep 7, 2016 at 14:49

1 Answer 1


It is an antique Beech Wood & Brass Sash template.

In short they were/are used as a template for creating (miter/coping) the framing around windows where glaze is used.

You can read more here. http://hackneytools.com/2013/08/how-to-use-sash-templates-or-templets/

enter image description here

  • Nicely answered!
    – keshlam
    Sep 7, 2016 at 4:36
  • @keshlam coming from you, I regard that as a great compliment. I thank you. Sep 7, 2016 at 4:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.