I have several teak folding deck chairs to restore. Some screws in a sheath(?) are missing. I took a complete sample to a local, national brand tool and hardware store. The store did not stock it and had no advice on where to find it. I left without asking exactly what to call this multi-part screw as I continue my search.

See picture the pictures below


What am I looking for?

  • 3
    You may be able to find something similar doing a Google Image Search which can be useful when you don't know the name of something (but have a picture on one).
    – martineau
    Jun 13, 2016 at 15:16

1 Answer 1


It's called either a 'Sex Bolt' or a 'Binding Post Bolt'.

Here's a page with some - https://www.grainger.com/category/ecatalog/N-1z0dryp

  • 1
    Also at mscdirect.
    – martineau
    Jun 13, 2016 at 15:44
  • @Pete - Excellent pointer you gave. How do I shop for the size I need? For example, is it measured from end-to-end (screw top to screw top) in inches, or by a size number, or ... ???
    – RJo
    Jun 13, 2016 at 23:47
  • 1
    They're sized in the same way as normal bolts - i.e, length and width, except that the length can be the bolt or the barrel. Length does not include the height of the head, only the shaft. You want ones with long barrels, and the length of the bolt is pretty irrelevant as long as it goes in. For Deck Chairs, I'd recommend stainless steel if you can get it.
    – PeteCon
    Jun 14, 2016 at 1:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.