I recently bought a house and I did most of the renovation work in the house. Most of the things are done, I still have some ugly pipes sticking out of the wall, I really don't like them. I want to hide them using some wooden planks. I already got a table saw, to make the necessary straight cuts, since I am very bad at making a straight cut's.

My question is I know what I want to do but I don't know where/how to start. can someone help me by giving some suggestion? How can I accomplish this and what is the best type of wood to use in order to make the covers for the pipes.


Added later: Here is the picture of the pipes.

interior photo showing pipes on wall

  • 1
    how big are the pipes and what material are they made of? posting a picture would probably help too.
    – Stoppal
    May 23, 2016 at 12:57
  • 2
    This is called 'boxing in' if you want to Google for more info. The framing work is most commonly done using construction wood (2x material) which is generally pine or another similar softwood, on top of that you can use any wood you prefer.
    – Graphus
    May 23, 2016 at 14:06
  • Now I get it, by sticking out I thought that you have the ends of some unused pipes sticking out of your wall...! I have some pipes in my flat as well, they are plain copper and they quite grew on me :)
    – Stoppal
    May 24, 2016 at 7:49
  • @Stoppal_ so have you done any boxing on those pipes? May 24, 2016 at 10:51
  • 2
    I know this as creating a bulkhead. Also this seems like a much better fit for DIY.SE. Framing lumber would be used around the pipes and then you would just drywall that frame. Make sure that you don't cover up any access points / vents while doing this.
    – Matt
    May 24, 2016 at 11:50

2 Answers 2


There is really only one option that I could recommend from my experience. Do some boxing-like over the pipes. Cut a board the width of the board and then go the distance you need to go from the wall. Then pain the wood what ever color you have used for the wall. It may not look the best but it would cover the pipes. Otherwise I would think you are better without doing that.

  • my main problem is the start point, how and where do I start? I have a idea how I can do the boxing but I am having difficulty with starting it. Any suggestion for me? May 24, 2016 at 10:50
  • Well, depending on how the pipes start you could but the wood on the wall and work your way to the other side. If the pipe runs down like in the picture cut a square in the wood for those pipes and have it run down. If this did not help then if you could put a picture because that would help me understand what it looks like at the beginning.
    – Ljk2000
    May 24, 2016 at 11:30

Consider adding crown molding to the room. To handle the vertical pipes in the corner, seems like you could adapt the bottom of what's shown in the image below — for example by just having two flat boards forming half a box running down to the floor.

A quick Internet search should provide you with lots of sources of information about how to install this type of molding including youtube videos.

image of installed crown molding]

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.