I would like to make a sphere like hole in a piece of wood like the image below. Is there a special bit or tool to do this?

enter image description here

  • 2
    There's some overlap with this previous Question. – Graphus Nov 6 '15 at 19:44
  • Also closely related to this – Ast Pace Nov 6 '15 at 21:32
  • @Graphus When I read this I thought it would be a dupe of the question you linked. Do you think that it is not a duplicate? – Matt Nov 9 '15 at 14:41
  • @Matt, I don't think it's an exact duplicate no. – Graphus Nov 9 '15 at 16:13

You're looking for a round nose bit, like the one pictured below.

round nose

It also looks like the edges of the hole are rounded over, for which you'd also use a roundover bit.


You could also take care of rounding the edges with sandpaper or a file/rasp.

| improve this answer | |
  • The roundover bit won't work in this case due to the bearing and the concave hole. But a template and a collar to the router would. – LosManos Nov 7 '15 at 20:03
  • The roundover will work for the most part, as long as it's set up correctly. It will require a little fairing with sandpaper afterward. – grfrazee Nov 8 '15 at 2:29
  • And a plunge router – Jordan Bentley Nov 9 '15 at 2:23

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.