This question already has an answer here:

I would like to make a sphere like hole in a piece of wood like the image below. Is there a special bit or tool to do this?

enter image description here

marked as duplicate by Matt, bowlturner Nov 9 '15 at 17:07

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


You're looking for a round nose bit, like the one pictured below.

round nose

It also looks like the edges of the hole are rounded over, for which you'd also use a roundover bit.


You could also take care of rounding the edges with sandpaper or a file/rasp.

  • The roundover bit won't work in this case due to the bearing and the concave hole. But a template and a collar to the router would. – LosManos Nov 7 '15 at 20:03
  • The roundover will work for the most part, as long as it's set up correctly. It will require a little fairing with sandpaper afterward. – grfrazee Nov 8 '15 at 2:29
  • And a plunge router – Jordan Bentley Nov 9 '15 at 2:23

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.