This weekend I was using my shavehorse to make some wooden spatulas. After a while, the head started losing grip on the pieces I was working.
To help improve the grip, I wrapped a piece of leather around the top crossbar and tacked it into place. While I don't have a picture of this, you can see the crossbar above the platform in the image below.
Adding the leather seemed to help a bit, but the issue still remained. Looking a little closer, I noticed that the surface of the platform was getting burnished, which would explain why it was so slippery.
At this point I was out of time to work on stuff, so I set it aside. I could add another piece of leather to the platform, which would probably help with grip. However, I'm curious if there are any other ways that I might increase the grip of my shavehorse.