I have a house that was built 1904. The mullions, etc., were secured with brass woodscrews through brass housings than are much like grommets in appearance. I do not know what they are called. I need some, as the previous owner started several projects and promptly lost the 'grommets'.

  • 3
    have a picture?
    – bowlturner
    Jun 8, 2015 at 19:51
  • These are not ordinary cup washers. The cupping extends into a Forstner drilled hole and has a base against which the head of the screw rests.
    – sam
    Jun 8, 2015 at 19:57
  • 1
    This might be a better fit for DIY.
    – rob
    Jun 8, 2015 at 21:04
  • 1
    Google "Lee Valley Countersunk Washers" if in N. America; in the UK, "brass turned screw cups". Can't help with any other regions... Jun 9, 2015 at 0:34
  • 3
    @sam bowlturner already mentioned it, but would you please add a picture?
    – rob
    Jun 9, 2015 at 3:39

2 Answers 2


The washers you're looking for are "countersunk washers" or sometimes "brass screw cups". Here's an image from Lee Valley:

countersunk washers

and another from High Torque:

countersunk washers 2

Unfortunately, the countersunk versions that you want are often mixed up with regular old surface finishing washers like these:

finishing washers


This: http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=1911&familyName=Brass+Finish+Washers

is what you want. The place I used to get these seems to have gone bye-bye. This is traditional (circa 1910) hardware for doors. If you google for 'brass screw decorative washers' you can find suppliers.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.