Pretty much just what the title says. I would like to know the different styles of Japanese saws and what each one is designed for. I am aware of Dozuki and Ryoba but I will assume there are others.

  • 1
    If the downvoter would be happy to explain the reasoning I could try and fix the question. This seems fairly straightforward to me as it stands. We are allowed to ask questions like this. Even encouraged.
    – Matt
    Commented May 24, 2015 at 12:28

1 Answer 1


Dōzuki (胴付(鋸)) A type of backsaw. The Japanese means "attached trunk", thus a saw with a stiffening strip attached, i.e., a backsaw.

Ryōba (両刃) Multi-purpose carpentry saw with two cutting edges. The Japanese means "double blade". There is a cross-cutting (yokobiki) blade on one side and a ripping (tatebiki) blade on the other.

Azebiki (あぜ引き) A small ryōba saw used for cutting into the flat surface of a board rather than from the edge. The blade has a convex curve which can begin the cut anywhere on the surface.

Mawashibiki (回し引き) A thin saw used for cutting curves, the Japanese version of a keyhole saw. The name means "turning cut".

The text is copied with pride from Wikipedia/Japanese saw.

  • 1
    @bowlturner nice pick-up on the edit.
    – Ast Pace
    Commented May 25, 2015 at 17:29
  • 1
    You translated all but one of the Japanese terms which got me curious so I looked it up. Apparently あぜ means a ridge or notch, so あぜ引き means ridge-cutting or notch-cutting. Commented Dec 7, 2017 at 10:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.