I bought this plane 35 years ago at a flea market just because I liked it.

enter image description here

enter image description here

Can any one tell me what it is or is it a combination of parts?

  • Nearly two weeks now, abandoned Q? I can't see if the OP has been back since a recent change (?) to the user page seems to no longer show last visit, for some inexplicable reason.
    – Graphus
    Aug 23 at 9:45
  • It's not a plane, it's Superman! shows self to the door...
    – FreeMan
    Aug 31 at 15:56
  • Abandoned questions seem all too common here, @Graphus. :(
    – FreeMan
    Aug 31 at 16:06
  • I'm enjoying that our answers are basically the same, but one shows a North American bias, and the other a UK bias.
    – jdv
    Aug 31 at 19:28
  • @FreeMan, yes. What are we running, around 7/10? :-(
    – Graphus
    Sep 1 at 4:06

This is built in the style of a British infill plane, with an iron or steel body, hardwood 'stuffing' (mahogany?) and brass or bronze lever cap.

It's a smoothing plane, or as commonly called today a smoother, which are intended to be the last plane in a sequence that takes wood from rough to perfectly flat and flawlessly smooth.

We can just make out in the first photo that it has a Norris iron (and presumably cap iron) fitted, but that doesn't mean it is a Norris as both parts were sold as separate components. While superficially it looks like one of their planes that weren't fitted with the now-famous-again Norris adjuster I don't believe Norrises ever had such prominent screws through the cheeks holding the infills in place. This and other key details I think argue strongly against this being a Norris.

So despite how professionally made this looks there is a chance it's a user-made tool; possibly from a kit of parts sold through a magazine.

More on infill planes, if you're interested, at The Infill Planes Showcase.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.