I was doing some work in the chicken coop today, and when it came time to attach the new wire mesh, I had the idea to use the little wooden tabs i had laying around from previous cuts as fasteners. Essentially, I am pinching the mesh to adhere it. It worked really well. However, I have no idea what this could be called. Does using wood like this have an existing name?

enter image description here

New contributor
Krythic is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.
  • 1
    Hi, welcome to Woodworking. I'm not sure if there's a formal name for these, but they're a type of cleat, or batten, both of which can be catch-all terms for thin/narrow strips of wood. And this type of thing might be (I think typically would be) referred to generically, e.g. "Secure the edges of the mesh by screwing on battens." Since the two words are interchangeable the sentence could just as easily end "...by screwing on cleats." if the person talking was from another woodworking tradition, or a different country (batten being more British English these days). – Graphus May 3 at 10:42
  • Incidentally there's another simple solution to this need that you might want to file away for future reference. You can use larger washers (fender washers) to spread the grip of individual screws — one screw sited in the middle of a square of the mesh could comfortably grip in all four directions with a washer of this type. And as this is a lower-profile option it's possibly handy for other applications in future. – Graphus May 3 at 10:46
  • 2
    This would be understood by most woodworkers as "cleats". – jdv May 3 at 11:19
  • @jdv I was going to suggest you be wary of your American-English bias, but actually I think you're right because the number of native English speakers is highest in the US. – Graphus May 3 at 18:33
  • @Graphus names drift, of course. Both battens and cleats, in the nautical sense, don't describe what we see here, really. For me, a batten is intended to close the seam between two things. Maybe for this reason only I prefer cleat, that most overused of utility words. – jdv May 3 at 22:24

Your Answer

Krythic is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.