I have been looking all over for specific hardware that allows panels to be mounted with the rail hook mounted to a notch. This pdf shows the mounting technique


I'm specifically looking for Metal Rail RM-0924 and the rail hook RM-0834. Anyone know of anything similar out there pls let me know.

enter image description here

The intention here is to be able to mount plywood boards (e.g. 1x8') for shelving vertically to the wall with the possibility of sliding them along the track if needed. Don't want to use cross braces. A mitered cleat on the 1/2" ply by itself isn't strong enough and will tear under some load. The rail hook reinforces it enough to take on over 300LB. Also as you would see in the PDF the back of the shelf stays flush against the wall. Very clean and very convenient with a bit of metal.

  • 1
    Hi, welcome to Woodworking. Shopping questions are off-topic for here. But there are numerous options for hanging things in a similar manner, most of which don't involve any commercial fixing system. The one that most immediately comes to mind is what is now popularly known as the French cleat. But it's worth mentioning that simply screwing the item directly to the wall, using appropriate screws and plugs or wall anchors, is a viable alternative if quick lift-on/lift-off mounting isn't a priority.
    – Graphus
    Sep 26 '20 at 11:24
  • 1
    The link you posted is PFD. I do not download PFD's. A photo or a web link would be helpful. Also, more detail in the question may clarify your intentions.
    – Alaska Man
    Sep 26 '20 at 18:53
  • 1
    Oh man, just reading that PDF made me break out in Ikea hives all over. Seriously, just google French cleat or maybe cabinet wall-hanging cleat. You're bound to come up with at least several ideas. Also, try your search with the two part numbers at the end of the search string. I'd bet it's 50/50 that you even happen upon a reference to the parts you seek.
    – Jim
    Sep 26 '20 at 19:54
  • @Jim, "Ikea hives" hahahaha, I love it.
    – Graphus
    Sep 27 '20 at 8:23
  • @AlaskaMan do you feel the same about PDFs? :)
    – Fakeer
    Sep 27 '20 at 20:37

"Sliding rail" and "rail hooks" are the search terms you are looking for. See places like McMaster-Carr sliding tracks, at least as a start.

If this does not suffice, as it looks like your reference design is custom, you can consider modifying the common t-slot designs used in many commercial applications. We've all seen the "wall of slotted engineered veneer" at stores with matching installations that hook and slide on with keyed sliders.

The rail could be a robust plywood with one or more slots in it (so you could adjust for height, as well!) and the runners would key in similarly within insets.

Maybe not the turnkey solution you are looking for, but that may only be available in B2B markets. You may have to trade off making your own solution now for some perfect solution you hope to find in the future.

Amazon and places like Lee Valley offer examples and (usually router) tooling to make your own.

To recap:

  1. You might find the exact hardware with more internet sleuthing, though it appears you've exhausted most avenues, leaving you with the long tail of searching B2B manufacturers.
  2. French cleats. Not perfect for your application, as the inset and top rail might get a bit large. But very cheap, and easily made in the home shop. Metal cleats purchased from any online shop could be very low-profile.
  3. T-Slot (or whatever letter is appropriate) design similar to a French cleat that would be a little more complicated to make, but could be made a little lower profile that traditional French cleats.

Note: I know that some folks refer to the latter two both as "French cleats" But I'm making a distinction here. There is what I think is the traditional cleat, made from convenient lumber (or metal) as a pair of simple mating surfaces. The slotted design is more of a commercial system that usually requires a router with some special tooling, and specific keyed runners. But you may run into places that conflate the two. (I don't care who's definition is correct -- I'm making a distinction for the purpose of answering the question "how can I solve my problem in a similar manner as the described hardware".)

It also depends if you require the unit to move smoothly, as if on bearings or wheeled tracks. If so, none of this advice will do, and you will need to shop for a solution, or engineer up a very interesting solution.

  • My vote to close is already recorded, but I'll say it in the open — shopping question!
    – Graphus
    Sep 28 '20 at 15:24
  • @Graphus, yeah it is pretty close, especially since the OP has specifically said no to french cleats. Honestly, I'm considering this hardware for a current project, but it is hardly "woodworking", even if I make my own french cleats. I did abstained from voting because I was hoping it could be more of a "how do I?" But, given the no french cleats rule, not sure what we can offer.
    – jdv
    Sep 28 '20 at 16:37
  • If we just put my search terms in a comment and close it, I can be convinced.
    – jdv
    Sep 28 '20 at 16:38
  • @jdv searched there (as you might have as well). i think tracks are generic and can be found easily. i'm wondering if the hook can be DIY out of aluminium on CNC?
    – Fakeer
    Sep 28 '20 at 19:38
  • "i'm wondering if the hook can be DIY out of aluminium on CNC? " Well that route could most certainly generate the pieces, but aluminium is not the ideal metal for this application (ali is a 'smeary' metal that has a habit of binding under high load/high friction). And anyway like I said above, you can make such brackets successfully from plywood. But honestly I can't see any reason you can't use "French cleats" here and just save yourself a load of time, money and hassle. If you doubt this is strong enough a modest amount of Googling will reassure you I promise.
    – Graphus
    Sep 28 '20 at 23:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.