This is a long (almost 6' / 2m) clamp. Its similar in function to a US pipe clamp but the main body is a wood block, with notches cut or drilled.

In the UK I've seen the term "sash clamp" used, but those that I saw had entirely metal bodies, and I've never heard that term used in the US.

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • Looks like a sash clamp to me. I don't think the material changes the name in this case, as the action is the same. The idea is a clamp that is intended to stay on for a long time for glue ups or dry fitting. Indeed, Irwin (and, I'm sure, others) makes the hardware so you can make your own by supplying the wood.
    – user5572
    Sep 20, 2020 at 21:26
  • Yeah I don't know that anyone actually calls the final assembled item a sash clamp, but that is essentially what you build so you end up with a sash clamp/sash cramp even if not referred to as one. The parts you buy are called the clamp heads, and they are still widely made and sold in the UK. The modern ones are usually a different style, requiring drilled holes rather than the notches of this type, but they're the same basic thing.
    – Graphus
    Sep 21, 2020 at 8:32
  • Amazon in Canada also sells the heads, and "sash clamps" works as search terms. So, yeah. No one I know uses the term very often, but the brands still use the term.
    – user5572
    Sep 21, 2020 at 13:48
  • I love it when the world is small, just posted in the last few days is this video by James Wright, What is a Sash Clamp and Where to Get Them
    – Graphus
    Sep 30, 2020 at 17:25

1 Answer 1


Grizzly sells a similar clamp and calls it a sash clamp:

Grizzly sash clamp

The same term turns up several similar models at Amazon and other retailers.

Yours is obviously not a pipe clamp as there's no actual pipe involved, but pipe clamps are also effectively the same thing: a head with a screw at one end, and a moveable foot that a slides along a pipe or bar.

Your clamp might also be described as a bar clamp, but I've seen people also use that term for F-clamps and Bessey-style parallel jaw clamps, both of which have the screw on the movable part instead of the fixed part.

  • 1
    That's cool, I wasn't aware that term was used in the US - but that looks essentially identical to the (fairly old) metal sash clamps I'd seen in the UK. In that case I guess the example in the question is just a more traditional / older design of basically the same thing. Sep 21, 2020 at 15:16
  • I think "bar clamp" is a more generic term than "sash clamp" - I've got a rather useful trigger action bar clamp (so called by the manufacturer) that can also be used as a spreader
    – Chris H
    Sep 27, 2020 at 19:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.