I have a largish piece of birch ply (120cm by 60cm) that warped -- one corner is 2cm off the flat plane. I cannot replace this piece, so I'd like to try and bend it back to a flatter condition. I assume that heat and steam, or both, might be how to do the trick, so I'd like to ask:

  • if I apply (dry) heat, should I apply to the cupped side or the side that cups out?
  • same question for steam: on the side that cups in or the side that cups out?
  • what about using dry heat on one side and steam on the other?

I can easily live with the piece cupping a it towards the non show side. I know I could just try and see, but since I have a 50% chances of getting it wrong I'd like to improve my odds!

  • We have multiple previous Q&As on basically the same topic. Users are required to search first because SE doesn't allow repeat/duplicate Questions.
    – Graphus
    Aug 5, 2020 at 6:04
  • 3
    Does this answer your question? How can I flatten out a cupped piece of 3/4" plywood for a wood counter top base?
    – Graphus
    Aug 5, 2020 at 6:07
  • nope, it does not answer my question. Aug 5, 2020 at 20:59
  • That's an automated response from my close vote. It's just one of the previous Questions this could be considered a duplicate of.
    – Graphus
    Aug 6, 2020 at 8:55


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.