I am aiming to cut a single piece of timber into 2, such that I can dynamically change the length by joining the pieces with screws. This would allow me to use a shorter piece of wood, rather than joining 2 longer pieces together. The following diagram shows the cut I attempt to make to do this:
Just a couple of questions:
- Is there a name for this type of cut?
- Is it possible to cut this, what tools would be required?
Edit: Thank you for the responses, some clarifications:
- Yes, I failed to account for the material lost due to the cutting process.
- If this was constructed from 2 separate pieces of timber, there would be a wastage of the length of the cut in the grain direction. If cutting from a single piece, there would not be any wastage.
- The purpose would have been to create a frame, such that the depth could be adjusted by unscrewing, sliding the wood and re-screwing onto a number of fixed holes. The load would have been on the ends, not on the joint in the centre.
I am now of the impression this is not practical to construct.