I'm not sure if different oils have wide varying techniques as far as application goes. Yes some might take longer to cure/dry but I figure in general the approaches are the same. If I am wrong then this question is meant to have a focus for Boiled Linseed Oil(BLO).
I am just getting into finishes and experimenting with BLO. I am trying to figure out the ideal method for applying it to wood. I don't know how much of this could be covered in one question or should be separated. The points I am looking to cover are
- How do I know if a coat is thick enough?
- How do I know if coat has set/cured?
- How long between coats?
- How many coats am I suppose to use?
- Should I apply something to the wood before the oil?
- In the case of BLO: Does the smell go away over time? Is it an indication of something?